Friday, May 11, 2018

Listen to the Noises



People care for you a lot.

That is why they would suggest, go from wrong side because it's too hot at 44 deg Celsius to ride 3 km to come around the right way. Going from wrong side is easy.
They also ask you to stop reading at late night and go to sleep.
While exercising, our mind suggests, don't go for one more repetition because you are comfortable with only 15.
Amazingly, sometimes we do listen to such suggestions - from others of self. These are the noises around and within us. We must notice them. They tell us the difference between success and failure, between excellence and mediocrity. If we are not aware of these noises, we won't know which alternative we have opted for, mediocrity or excellence.

We often start important activities with zeal and passion, continue it for 2-3 days, and then overconfidence comes at play. It says, I did it for 3 days, I can do it for ever. And then surprisingly, we stop doing it! Sometimes we don't even feel guilt. You know, it takes discipline to succeed. That's it! Discipline to continuously learn and improve is all that is required for it. Unless we know the noises which keep us away from greatness, how can we tune those out of our thinking? We need to overcome the overconfidence of doing something for a short period because ahead of that lies the satisfaction of big achievements. So listen to your thoughts which seek comfort and ease, listen to your people who use such nice and comforting words.



People close to us often say, "I say so because I care for you". Let me tell you this - if they care for you, they should know you. And if they know how hungry you are for making a difference in this world, they would instead find ways to support you in your actions rather than using comforting words. They would find ways to help you improve and be productive. When they come by any people or ideas that can promote you or help you become more effective and efficient, they would inform you. They would get excited just by the thought of you succeeding in your quest. If you are one of such kind, kudos to you! I love you for that. Please keep doing it. I wish success in your personal struggles for excellence.

Moreover, we are our responsibility. Will Smith suggests, "When I feel like having a burger or cheese pizza, I tell myself, 'Man! I love you so much that I cannot let you go on that path because after eating that, next day you will feel bad about it. You will criticize yourself' When my friends are enjoying when I have exams coming up, I tell myself, 'Man! I love you too much to feel bad after you are done with the party so better read and feel better that you continued with what you planned'. Think about it.


Let me know those interesting excuses your mind has given you so far. Let me know those noises.


P.S.- Along with a hand painted T-shirt, I gifted my fiancé (now wife) a non-fiction book on her birthday. Till today I wonder what she thinks of that act.


No comments:

Post a Comment